Have You Experienced an Alarming Rupture?

A “penile fracture” is a rupture in the lining of one of the two cylinders in the penis that are responsible for erections, the “corpora cavernosa.” There are two corpora cavernosa, each of which is a mass of erectile tissue that forms the bulk of the penis and is enveloped in fibrous coverings called “tunica albuginea.” This painful and alarming injury, which occurs in the lower two-thirds of the penis, usually results when a man thrusts against a pubic bone or the perineum during intercourse, causing the corpora cavernosa to snap or break. There is a cracking or popping sound, immediate loss of erection, pain, bruising, and bleeding. These symptoms should prompt action to seek immediate medical attention.

P.S. Once a diagnosis is made, penile fracture is surgically treated with stitches to repair the tear.